How to Manage a Wedding in a Heatwave
When the sun decides to shine on your wedding day; here’s how to enjoy it.
We live in the UK, so there is the chance that you could just have a heatwave on your special day. I’ve enjoyed photographing a few 28c plus weddings!
So if you’re planning that July or August wedding be prepared.
Here are some great tips, but hey, they’ll still be good tips even if it’s not 30 degrees.
Treat Guests To A Summer Wedding They Won’t Forget
- If it is sizzlingly hot, your guests could get rather uncomfortable. Provide them with summer wedding favours. Parasols, sunglasses fans or chilled summer berries.
- Keep their thirst at bay with summery cocktails or summery signature drinks in cute mason jars.
- How about organising a retro ice cream van?
- Or maybe something cheaper like filling a really large container like a metal ice bucket with ice and load it with ice pops, bottles or beer and soft drinks.
- If your venue has gardens how about a few outdoor games? Piñata, ring toss, boules or simple bubbles for the kiddies.
Look Cool At Your Summer Wedding
- If you’re still looking for ‘the one’ (your dress) try to choose light material such as cotton or voile over silk or even try a chic length dress.
- Blotting paper or translucent powder can help keep any shine away from you for your pictures.
- I’m sure your makeup artist will already do this but makeup with added SPF is a must.
- Add some summer to you and your bridesmaids with a bright and bold summer inspired manicure.
- Try a pair of flat shoes like nice ballerina type shoes or even flip flops as heels can become uncomfortable as the temperatures rise –make sure you take these to your dress fitting.
Is Your Venue Summer Ready
- If your summer wedding is outdoors, check to see if the chairs are metal. If so, you’re going to need chair covers.
- Again, if its outdoors, try to make sure you also have indoor space. It may get cooler later in the day or simply be a better environment for some of the older guests. (I’m not mentioning the inevitable rain)
- Are you having a marquee wedding? Try to organise air conditioning or fans.
- Look for summer styling inspiration for your wedding.
- As its summer, insects and flies are never too far away. Citronella candles are a great deterrent and are cost effective too.
- Lavender is a real summery flower, it’s easy to decorate with and doesn’t cost the earth. Plus it smells divine
- Draping fairy lights outside is a way to add romance after the light starts to fade. LED lights are readily available from Amazon and last for ages with a couple of AA batteries.
- The dry summer nights are perfect for sparklers and maybe fireworks – just make sure that your venue is okay with this before planning them.
Top 10 Things You Should Know Before Choosing Your Wedding Photographer
Choosing the right wedding photographer for your wedding can be a daunting and bewildering experience. That’s why I’ve put together a helpful series of emails and articles to help you ensure that you choose the right photographer for you and your wedding day.
I do hope that will be me, however, it’s important that you make the right decision (even if that is not me) so enter your details and I’ll send you the top 10 things you should know before choosing your wedding photographer, along with my brochure to help you make the right decision for you and your wedding
Summer Wedding by Paul Swift Photography
Check out my Instagram page for many more images.